December 24, 2010

A Touch of Trust

What is faith?

Is it merely letting go, and letting God? Or is it trust in something we can't see, feel, or hear, that might not be there?

As I walk in the wilderness, pondering the paths of my heart and mind, wondering where it all is leading, I sometimes lose sight of what matters. I'm not the only one. To doubt, to err, to question, is human. It's not a bad thing, this wandering.

A friend and mentor of mine once told me, as I was telling him of my wilderness, "It's not a bad place to be". Of course, my first reaction was, "What do you know? I'm so freaking lost". I didn't understand, I didn't trust his wisdom, and I was quickly losing faith in every one and every thing. I was focused on nothing, and everything. Shifting that focus from myself, to the problems around me, back to myself, then letting the numb settle in.

It would seem even this has a root in fear, because when it came right down to it, I was doing this all in fear of pain. Am still doing this all in fear of pain.

Yet this small voice constantly rings out... Trust me.

Is it really that simple? Is this the root of faith; the thing I've been lacking this whole time, causing me to squander my hope, and bury my emotion? Something so simple for something so complicated... it seems absurd. I want to, dearly want to, but fear won't allow it.

Trust me.

That is faith, isn't it? Whether it's in God, or a friend, it's as simple as a touch of trust, and a shift of focus. It is refocusing on what your circumstances are shaping you into, and trusting God and those around you to keep you moving forward.
This is a test we all face... sometimes weekly. We have to have a touch of trust, lest we turn ourselves into hermits. It is not something inherited, nor something necessarily gained from experience. Experience builds your intuition, shapes your body, brings knowledge or understanding... but it won't always build trust. Trust begins in the heart. That deep place just beyond your mind, where emotions swirl in a tempest, and ties connect. Trust is built when you quiet that place, release pent up emotion, examine the ties between you and people and events, and cut the ties that bind you to harmful things. Of course, that's only a start.

From there, you must slowly reintegrate back into the relationships you pulled away from. Especially those that encouraged you, like friends and family. Then, the hardest step: slowly open up to them. Hiding does not build trust, it only damages you and the ones who love you. From here you will grow stronger. There's always going to be fall-outs, pain, loss of trust; but you must not be afraid to face that. Learn from all you go through. Be merciful, honorable, trustworthy, forgiving, yet wise, strong, stable, and teachable.

It is a hard task, to trust. But it is a step in the right direction.

No comments: